Thursday, September 16, 2010

There are no words...

 Lilly is 22 months old today, and I have been trying to be very diligent with her on potty training this week since she seems to be understanding the concept better.  I bought a bag of M&Ms to give her a few whenever she actually went on the potty.  It only took once of her getting them for her to realize how much she loves, "M's"  as she calls them.  So much so, that she stands in front of the refrigerator (I keep them on top of the fridge so Sean won't get them) with her arms outstretched above her asking, "M's? M's?...Peas?  M's? M's?... Peas?"  At least she's being polite in her begging...

The ultimate potty training tool...

I've basically been letting her run around in little training pants that I bought at Target, which are like underwear but  a little thicker so if she pees some in them it wont make a huge pool underneath her.  Well, she hasn't even been wanting to wear them much, so she's really been running around half naked with just a shirt and her boots on.  There are no words...

So I couldn't take a pic of her without the pants on...that just wouldn't be right...

So, she had been doing great this morning while I set the timer for every 15 minutes, so she goes to sit down whenever the timer goes off.  However, she hadn't done a #2 yet this morning, which she usually does every single day before lunch...so, when I sat her down to eat her lunch I was pretty sure it wouldn't be long and I'd have too much going on with Brilee about to wake up to eat.  And sure enough, as soon as I'm sitting down nursing Brilee, Lilly stands up in her chair and says, "poo-poo?"  I was afraid she had just gone right there, but thankfully she hadn't.  So, I said, "Hurry, Lilly, go to the potty" while I continued to nurse Brilee.  I figured she wouldn't go anyway by herself with me in the other room, but i was so very wrong.  A couple of minutes later she comes bounding into the living room carrying her "prize" with a big smile on her face.  There are no words....

I quickly laid Brilee down on the floor and whisked Lilly and her deed back to the bathroom where I tried to emphasize it needed to "STAY in her POTTY" while trying to give her lots of praises at the same time.  After a THOROUGH washing of hands she got her "M's" and the resulting chocolate drool stains down the front of her shirt.  (Of which I didn't have time to take a pic because we had to get ready to pick Sean up from preschool).

These are the moments that are tough to deal with as a mommy...the feeling that I haven't gotten anything accomplished all morning except taking Lilly to the potty, feeding and changing Brilee, playing   with the girls....but I LOVE it so much and wouldn't trade anything for this time.  

In fact, today Brilee is 12 weeks, and I am so very thankful that I have the priviledge to stay home and haven't had the thought looming over my head of a maternity leave about to end.  With both Sean & Lilly, I would have in my head all the time "only 4 more weeks...only 2 more weeks...only 1 more week...only 3 more days..."  I really couldn't enjoy my short time with them at home because I was too worried about the time when I would have to leave them.  Granted, I had an extremely WONDERFUL situation to be in for a mom who went back to work.  I was a HS guidance counselor at a private, Christian school that also had a preschool in the next building over from my office.  So, I would drive them to school with me, drop them off, and drive around to the office so I was probably only 500 feet away from them all day.  I was able to take my lunch break to go nurse them, so I only had to pump twice a day.  I think of other moms who don't get to see their babies from drop off until 5 or 6 pm.  Thankfully I got to see them at lunch, which made the time more bearable.  Still, my heart longed to be at home.  And God made that possible.  Yes, we cut a lot out of our budget, and no, we don't have the biggest house, but I'm at HOME.  That's what matters.  There are no words to express how grateful I am to God for blessing me with  a hard-working, loving husband who understood how important that was to me.  I thank God for continually meeting our needs even when we don't know how.  He truly blesses us everyday.  His mercies are new every morning.  

I pray I will not be so quick to forget that promise and to continue to savor and enjoy these moments with my children.  Even the times like today where there just are no words...I just remember Colossians 3:17 "Whatever you do in word in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."

No comments:

Post a Comment