I don't know even where to begin this post! It's been another frustrating morning, but I can definitely see God clearly speaking to me today and answering my prayers.
After speaking with the rep from my medical insurance the other day, I left a message with my doctor's nurse giving her the info that they said I am eligible to get the IUD from the doctor's office. I didn't get a call back from her until today, and she said that it was strange that I got a different answer than their business office-- so she told me she was going to check on something and call me back later today.
When I hung up the phone it got me thinking, "what if the rep the other day gave me wrong info?" I didn't get her name or anything, so I decided to call back just to double check, get the rep's name this time and just feel more confident that this would be covered and I wouldn't be stuck with a bill for $499!
After waiting through all the menus until I could speak to an actual person (and having the voice recognition mis-hear what I said over and over), I was so glad that I had called back because she told me that in fact, I had received misinformation the other day (she told me she would report the reference # of that other phone call to her supervisor) and that the actual procedure to have the doctor insert the IUD is covered, but it does not cover the cost of the IUD itself (how confusing is that?)
So, I decided to call back my prescription insurance plan (through CVS Caremark) to talk to them again--because the last person I spoke to there said that my prescription plan covers the cost of the IUD, but it is not available from any pharmacies (mail order or local) and I would have to order it directly from Paraguard and have them ship it to my doctor (even though they keep them in stock!), then be reimbursed for the amount from the insurance plan.
Again, SO GLAD I did this. I got a very experienced rep on the line and she was very helpful walking step by step, and the paraguard wasn't even showing up in their system anymore! I don't know if my case helped them discover that this isn't available through the pharmacies, so it was taken out of their system or what, but she found it very strange, since she could see the notes from my previous calls!
So, she connected a pharmacist into our phone call to ask if there was any other brand that would be available that does NOT contain hormones. This is the whole reason I wanted to go with an IUD is because I feel terrible when taking any type of birth control pill--mini or regular. He shed some light on the situation, that since it contains no medicine at all, it's actually not even considered a prescription, it is a medical device only. So, the rep said she didn't think they would reimburse me at all because of this fact. She said she's been in the business for "many, many years" and she's seen similar situations where people have been given misinformation and they end up with bills that aren't covered.
So where does this leave me now? Well, I know I'm not getting an IUD simply because my insurance won't pay for it. But then I remembered way back when I was considering this option wondering about how the IUD worked--I had heard conflicting info about whether it prevents fertilization or implantation. (a very critical point for a pro-lifer). My doctor assured me that it prevents fertilization, and that studies have shown that there is not a fertilized egg that simply isn't able to implant and that it does not cause abortions. I felt assured by his telling me this, BUT, I also remember thinking after he told me his nurse would have to call to receive authorization from my insurance company, "God, if I'm not supposed to have this, then just don't let it happen."
That brought me to an "AHA!" moment---God has just answered my prayer! I can say so definitively. I'm not saying that no one should get an IUD, but that I'M not supposed to have one. For whatever reason, only God knows, I'm just not supposed to have it. And that is the most reassuring feeling in the world--I just need to trust God and continue to listen to Him where to go from here. I have no clue right now what that will be (because I told Jon I'm don't want to end up like the Duggars with 19 and counting!) but I know that right now an IUD is not in the plan and that anything hormonal messes with my body in strange ways, and I'm not going that route either. Which leaves a lot to think about.
The hymn keeps running through my mind,
'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His word.
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, Thus sayeth the Lord!
Jesus, Jesus how I trust Him
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus
O for grace to trust Him more
No comments:
Post a Comment