Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Runaround

Whew, I had a runaround with the insurance company today about my coverage for an IUD.  My doctor's office told me a couple of weeks ago that when they checked with my insurance regarding authorization to give me an IUD that it would only be covered through my prescription plan.  The nurse had NEVER heard of this before.  She said that they said I would have to have the prescription filled at a pharmacy, and bring the IUD to the doctor's office for them to put it in....WHAT?!?!  So, the nurse faxed in a form with the prescription info to the prescription services because she thought they could mail it to their office instead of me picking it up from the pharmacy.

So, here it is two weeks later.  I got an email saying my order was being processed and it gives me a link to the website to check the order.  I check it and it says the order has been cancelled!  So, I call them and they say they have a note on my record that they were "out of stock" and are mailing me back my prescription...again, what??  I said, so I'm supposed to just take it into Walgreens and have them give me an IUD to take to the doctor?  She said, "well, wait, I see a note here that the IUD is only available directly from Paraguard....let me give you their number and you can ask them how you are supposed to order it."  Great.
So, I called Paraguard.  They said they ONLY ship to doctor's offices, and they do not file insurance, and that the only way I could order it was to place the order and pay in full and they would ship it to my doctor, then I would file a claim to get reimbursed from my insurance.  NO--UN-UH, NOT going to happen!

So, I called pharmacy services back again and told them the dilemna....I can't get the one the doctor has IN STOCK all the time, I have to get it through my "pharmacy coverage" from a pharmacy that CANNOT get them from the company since they ONLY mail it to the doctor!  That makes sense.

The representative was VERY nice (and believe it or not, I was very calm the whole time even though I've been on the phone for an hour) and said that since this is a procedure that ONLY the doctor can do, it should be covered by my medical insurance...(just like my epidural medicine I received when giving birth...they don't make women go pick up the anesthesia from their local walgreens and go take it to the doctor to inject it into you! )  She said she hated to tell me this, but I would need to call my medical insurance back to make sure it isn't covered under medical, and how I'm supposed to get this, since my plan is showing that it IS covered.

So, I call medical insurance back, and give her the long story, and afterwards in 2 seconds the rep says "Oh, the IUD from your doctor IS covered by your insurance...you don't have to get it from a pharmacy...you must have been given misinformation before"  Great.  Thank you SO much for your help, and why wasn't that answer given to my doctor's office to begin with???  

Lesson for the day--I was meant to spend over an hour on the phone with this runaround because God planned my day this way.  At least that's what I learned in my study this morning on the book Transforming Grace.  God gives us grace not only when we are saved, but HE continues to give us grace everyday to deal with life's complications...we are not expected to be able to deal with difficult circumstances like this on our own wisdom and know-how.  God gives us the grace to be nice to the 6 or 7 reps I talked to today.  Maybe one of them needed to talk to hear a southern voice today.  God has a reason and I don't need to know it!  simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment