Our family doesn't travel much at all...mostly because of the logistics of traveling with 5 kids, one of them still nursing, but I often wish we could travel more...until we take a trip, then I'm fine with our staycations at home.
We haven't visited grandma and grandpa Hardison in over a year...because our house was on the market all last summer, then school starting and being in the last trimester of pregnancy with high blood pressure issues, then a newborn, then the house on the market again, packing, moving, etc...it's been quite a busy year.
We haven't visited grandma and grandpa Hardison in over a year...because our house was on the market all last summer, then school starting and being in the last trimester of pregnancy with high blood pressure issues, then a newborn, then the house on the market again, packing, moving, etc...it's been quite a busy year.
So, it was a long overdue trip and everyone (especially G&G) were excited for our trek to New Bern.
What should be a 4 1/2 hour drive always takes 6 hours with kids no matter how you try to cut the potty and food breaks. We thought we'd make it in 5 1/2 this time, but, no, it was still 6.
Since we didn't get in town until the afternoon, we spent most of the evening just playing outside, which is usually very relaxing on Brice's Creek, but it was quite hot and humid. You can tell by Brilee's hair that gets extra curly in humidity.
Sean and Lilly wanted to throw all the moss they could find into the creek.
The swingset dad built when I was 5 is always a hit
The next day we made the 45 min. drive from my parent's house to the ocean. It was the first time Luke had been and the first time that Jack remembers going. He was scared of the water and needed to hold my hand the whole time. He didn't like the feeling of moving backwards in the sand as the waves go back into the ocean.
The girls were happy to play right in the shallow water where the surf was coming in and out.
Sean was the only one that ventured out to his waist. The breaking waves were keeping him there, and I was thankful because of the streak of shark attacks lately...
Mr. Grumpy still didn't want to get wet any more than he already was.
I have a lot of work still to go, but I can say I wasn't totally embarassed in a swimsuit, and after 5 babies, I think that's a huge thing to be able to admit. Moms just go have fun with your kids and don't worry how you look.
Getting his feet wet the first time.
A larger wave came in right then and splashed up on him, so even Luke ended up with lots of sand in his diaper....oops ;)
Brilee ended up rolling around in the sand so much she was the hardest to clean. I'm sure she still has sand in her hair...
Jack got SO very cranky we had to leave. He was wanting to strip off his clothes on the beach because he hated the sand that had gotten in his diaper from the couple of times he had let the water come up on him. He was a wreck...and great mom that I am had thrown in extra of Luke's clothes and didn't have any in Jack's size. So he's stuck here wearing 12 month clothes and somehow I got him wedged in them.
But hushpuppies makes everything better and he was happy again soon. Even in a too small romper with snaps at his waist ;)
Daddy showing them pictures of real Marlins like the one on the wall behind them.
Luke happily eating his puffs
Brilee being surfer girl on the waterfront.
We came home and Brilee and I got in a workout
When we got home, we all rested, then took the canoe out when the sun wasn't so high in the sky.
3/5ths of our crew
The next morning, we all went out to dad's friend's property to shoot some and take the kids 4 wheeling.
Don't mind my form, it was terrible. Leaning back too far, should have been leaning forward. But I did get all my shots mostly toward the center. Only one in the 7 ring, 1 in the 8, 2 in the 9 and the other in the center.
We came home and enjoyed a Bogue Sound watermelon. The kids discovered the sweetest watermelons are NOT seedless.
We left on Sunday after visiting grandma and grandpa's church. Made for a long drive back not starting out till 1, but the kids were mostly ok except Jack was really restless. Luke, as always, was the best passenger.
One last funny, as we were driving through Mount Olive, Jon points to the side of the road and asked, "Are those pickle plants?" BAHAHA I love you, honey, but as Larry would say, "I'm a cucumber."





















































































































No comments:
Post a Comment