Monday, September 19, 2011

Keeping Afloat

I think it's been a good 3 or maybe even 4 weeks since I've been able to post to my blog!  I have been a little overwhelmed with figuring out our school schedule this week, so needless to say I have simply been trying to keep my head above water and stay afloat.

I have a handful of pictures I've taken of the kids since I started back on a regular schedule with them the past few weeks.  I had continued to do bits of school work through the summer, and I transitioned slowly into our routine--so we didn't have an "official" first day back to school.

 Writing letters in shaving cream

 A big, fun mess this turned out to be!



 Letters in popcorn...less messy, more tasty!



 Painting Joseph's coat of many colors...



 Painting Brilee's face of many colors...
 Turtle snacks...




I enjoy the flexibility of homeschooling and I think it is necessary with kids this little.  Each morning has unexpected events, and I am not rushing to get 3 kids dressed, packed and out the door, for which I am thankful.  Don't get me wrong--there are several days I cry "Oh, why can't they be in preschool?!?" But then I remember all the wonderful blessings we have going on in our situation and I remember why we chose this path.

Another reason is that Sean is really eager to learn how to read and is at the point he is ready to do Kindergarten (though not maturity wise) even though he doesn't turn 5 until December.  I'm working with him on whatever level he is on now, and will continue to do so as long as we homeschool.  Unfortunately, if we decide to do public school later, he may have already the kindergarten level work, but I would rather take the time to teach him to read on my own while he is asking and begging to--and showing signs of sounding out words himself anyway.  We'll deal with the school choice issue as that comes up in the spring and just not focus on that now.  I'm using a simple book called Phonics Pathways with him and doing lots of easy readers and going through the Kindergarten reading list of the Sonlight curriculum with him.

I'm using Handwriting Without Tears, and Sean really enjoys the hands-on nature of that program and the songs we use to go over proper writing technique.  (i.e. song to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know it" ---"Where do you start your letters?  At the TOP!  Where do you start your letters?  At the TOP! If you want to write a letter, You better, better, better...Remember to start it At the TOP!")  There are tons of fun little sayings, etc. like that one which help make handwriting much more pleasurable for a busy active guy like himself.

I have some more photos on my phone of our school room with a little more decoration to it thanks to a friend at church who gave me a TON of posters, etc. to hang on the wall.  We are thoroughly enjoying the brighter walls!  And I made some color crayons thanks to an idea by another friend on Facebook.  AND...(I keep forgetting my projects!) I made posters of our "21 rules of the house" as well as posters of the Fruit of the Spirit.  I'll do a separate post when I get those uploaded to Picasa from my phone.

We are also in desperate need of an updated family picture.  I'm not sure why we don't remember to ask someone to at least take a snapshot of the 5 of us--the last one we have was from a year ago when I had to send one in to Sean's preschool for a little project.  That spurred me on then, so I think I will "assign" him a project to make a poster of his family.  Then we'll just have to remember to get a photo taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment