Notice I didn't say NO fatty foods, but fewer...
Our square plates maximized for surface area available for food (Jon the engineer's idea, ofcourse!)
Our Family ALWAYS has a great spread of food at Thanksgiving (and every other holiday and birthdays!) due to having so many wonderful cooks in the family! In fact, we all have our own customized "square plates" that Jon and I made everyone for Christmas one year (pictured above from the wonderful scrap book pages that Lynn makes for us each year!) This was Jon's idea--square plates=maximized room for food!
Back to all the cooks in the family--Jon's parents (his dad is the gourmet!), his sister Dawn, his aunt Judy, his cousin Lynn, and Jon & myself all LOVE to cook! It's wonderful come holiday time to have so many cooks because we can all share in the preparation of the meal. However, the downside is that we end up with dishes of food covering the entire table, plus a side table, and another table just for desserts!
Since they all look so delicious, we end up eating a little bit of everything, which ends up being a WHOLE LOT of something inside our tummies at the end! Well, this year, I refuse to do the whole "I feel SO stuffed" feeling! I realized it's just NOT necessary! Many of the dishes we make are typical dishes you can have any other time of the year (potatoes, corn, rolls (with butter!), rice casserole, etc, etc...) while others are special just to Thanksgiving. My favorite of these special dishes is Cornbread Dressing Lynn makes, which was Jon's grandmother's recipe. I figure, why not eat only the dishes that I really LOVE and only get once a year and skip all the other dishes that are just the extra "stuffing" that leaves me so lethargic and regretful??? That way, I get to treat myself and hopefully prevent myself from gaining 5 pounds in one day!
So for me it will be Turkey only without having Ham too (because though it's ok, I really just want the turkey on T-day!), cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, and the green bean casserole. Without the 10 other dishes sitting on the table! I figure the most important part of Thanksgiving is the GIVING of THANKS anyway! The fellowship with wonderful family, the laughter around the table, the memories made with everyone. The food is the same every year. And if I ever lose the 15 pounds I'd like to get back to how much I weighed almost 10 years ago when Jon and I got married, then I'll splurge all the way on T-day again. But not this year. I've been working too hard to push myself backwards. And the food just isnt worth it. It's not.
As for dessert, just sticking to the pumpkin pie. Though I would love the 5 other desserts that will probably be spread out before us, again--that's not worth it either. Now, I might be very tempted come Thursday, but that's why I'm asking Jon right now--PLEASE remind me it's not worth it! Even if you want to eat a little of every dessert, that's ok! Just please don't let me! I want to keep my focus on family this year--not food!
Ok, I think I'm off my soapbox now (where I've mostly been preaching to myself--I'm not telling anyone else what to do because everyone has different goals.) Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family and I hope many wonderful memories are made!


No comments:
Post a Comment