Monday, August 2, 2010

What day is it??

Every day, Sean asks me, "Mommy, what day is it?" After I tell him which day of the week, he then asks, "What do we do on _____?" He knows that we do certain things on specific days, but I guess can't remember the names of the days that go with which event! So, on Friday when he asked, "What do we do on Friday?" I told him that we had Home Fellowship Group that night (and his friends would come over to play upstairs with him while the grown-ups met downstairs) and that he needed to help me clean up. Well, he loves to clean (probably because he earns coins to put in his bank!) so he was very excited. He got even more excited when I reminded him that when daddy comes home on Friday, he'll be home all weekend. That always makes his day! In fact, when Jon got home that night and asked Sean what he had done that day, Sean didn't tell him about the sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning up toys, getting stains out of the carpet, etc...he only said, "We've been waiting for you to get home!" How precious is that?!

Friday is his favorite day because he knows daddy will be home all weekend, and on the opposite end, of course, Monday he is always sad because daddy is back at work. However, no matter what day it is, both Sean and Lilly get SO excited when Jon gets home from work. He always rings the doorbell (or these days he knocks on the door since Brilee might be asleep) and they both go running to the door to open it for him. Lilly gets so excited yelling, "da-dee! da-dee!" and he can barely put his things down while they hang all over him.

Their behavior got me thinking about if I am expectantly waiting for Jesus' return for His church with the same excitement that Sean & Lilly get for Jon's return home. I am often too busy and focused on my to-do list and the "busy-ness" of life that I neglect to prepare and fill my heart every day with God's word. I am inspired to change this and make it a habit to always keep Christ as the central focus of every day of my week, as I do now know what day my savior will return for me. Children absorb habits like a sponge, and I certainly want them to learn from me that the most important part of our day is reading scripture together and praying together--not our time in the park, time with friends, playing, eating, cleaning, running errands, or all the innumerable things that end up filling our entire day. Sean can sing the lyrics to songs we sing and/or listen to, can recite lines from his favorite movies and knows his favorite books word for word (see video clip below) --so I know he can memorize scripture--it is just MY responsibility to take the time to make it a priority.

"You too, be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour that you do not expect." Luke 12:40

No comments:

Post a Comment